Top 10 Best Whiskey Brands In India 2022 : Whiskey or Whisky, depending on where you are from, is one of the most popular alcoholic beverages in the world. Originated in Scotland, Whisky is loosely derived from the Gaelic term “uisge beatha”, or “usquebaugh”, which translates to ‘water of life. While scotch whisky is usually regarded as the best whiskey in India and abroad, there are several other countries, including our own, that makes top-quality whisky.
Furthermore, you get a lot of variations depending on budget, flavour profile, composition, age, colour, and more. In case you are on the lookout for a nice whiskey to treat yourself or your loved ones, we have curated a list of the best whiskey brands available in India – including Scotch and Indian brands. But before that…
What is Whiskey?
As discussed, whiskey or whisky is an alcoholic drink that originated in Scotland around the 16th Century. Since then, it has travelled across the globe with every country trying out its own variation. Originally though, in Scotland, whiskey is defined as an alcoholic beverage made using water and malted barley, and occasionally other cereal grains. It has to be matured in oak barrels for a minimum of three years and must have a minimum alcohol by volume of 40%.
How to Drink Whisky?
You can drink whisky in a number of ways; the most popular ones are neat (without any mixing), with ice, and with water or soda. Usually, whisky is also used in several popular cocktails such as Old Fashioned, Highball, and Manhattan. The best experience to drink true Scotch whiskey is neat in a custom glass like the Glencairn or any other option with a tulip design.
How Do We Pick the Best Whiskey Brands In India?
Whiskey is one of the most intricate kinds of alcoholic beverages. With a rich history and a plethora of flavour profiles, it’s difficult to find the one that suits everyone’s palettes. However, we have curated a list of the best whisky brands that cater to almost every kind of whiskey drinker out there.
Top 10 Best Whiskey Brands In India With Price List 2022
|Best Whiskey Brands||Price* (Gurugram, Haryana)|
|Amrut||Starting at Rs 900|
|Paul John||Starting at Rs 850|
|Rampur||Starting at Rs 8,000|
|Kamet||Starting at Rs 2,800|
|Johnnie Walker||Starting at Rs 1,000|
|Glenfiddich||Starting at Rs 2,900|
|The Glenlivet||Starting at Rs 2,900|
|Laphroaig||Starting at Rs 3,800|
|Teacher’s||Starting at Rs 1,100|
|Lagavulin||Starting at Rs 7,500|
|Macallan||Starting at Rs 5,500|
|Monkey Shoulder||Starting at Rs 3,500|
|Ballantine’s||Starting at Rs 1,000|
|Aberlour||Starting at Rs 3,200|
|Talisker||Starting at Rs 5,399|
*Prices are subject to change
10 Best Whiskey Brands In India 2022
Amrut is one of the pioneers of quality Indian whisky. Started by Amrut Distilleries a few decades back, Amrut is the first single malt whisky brand in India.
- Amrut has picked up rare accolades from some of the finest whiskey connoisseurs in the world.
- Having started with just a couple of single malts, Amrut now sells blended whiskies, rums, gins, and several other alcoholic beverages in India and across the world.
- Amrut Fusion is one of the highest-rated single malt whiskies in the world. In fact, in 2010, famed reviewer Jim Murray tagged it the 3rd best whisky in the world.
Latest Price (in Gurgaon, Haryana): Starting from Rs 900
2. Paul John
Following Amrut’s footsteps to create a premium, world-renowned whiskey brand from India, Paul John was set up in 1996 but started on its current vision only in the last decade.
- Based in Goa, India, Paul John has also impressed connoisseurs across the world with its high-quality single malt whiskey.
- Their creation uses elements from Scottish peat to create an amalgamation of select Indian and Scottish malts.
- The Paul John Nirvana is the brand’s most affordable single malt whisky, which is said to take on the premium single malts of Scotland. The whiskey offers notes of green apple and cinnamon to a lot of reviewers.
Latest Price (in Gurgaon, Haryana): Starting from Rs 850
Rampur is a part of Radico Khaitan, one of the biggest liquor companies in India. This brand was set up to produce premium single malts with malted barley sourced from the North Indian plains.
- Rampur is a luxury whisky brand and caters more to the overseas crowd than to Indian audiences just yet.
- This whisky brand was set up by the company’s management in 2016 to show the world that India can compete with the complex flavour profiles of whiskey from across the world.
- Rampur’s latest expression is the Asava Single Malt, which is hand-crafted and aged in the foothills of the Himalayas. It has been matured in ex-bourbon and ex-Cabernet Sauvignon casks for a superb profile.
Latest Price (in Gurgaon, Haryana): Starting from Rs 8,000
Kamet is a relatively new player in the Indian whiskey market but has gained a foothold swiftly thanks to its affordable pricing and quality offering.
- Envisioned by Ansh Khanna and Master Sommelier Ken Fredrickson, Kamet focuses on using six-row barley for its expressions.
- This gives it a significant USP from other players in India and abroad.
- The brand is named after a 20,000-feet+ high mountain in the Himalayas.
- The Kamet Single Malt is distilled in copper pot stills and matured in a combination of ex-Bourbon American Oak, ex-wine French Oak, and ex-Sherry casks.
Latest Price (in Gurgaon, Haryana): Starting from Rs 2,800
Best Scotch Whiskey Brands Available in India
5. Johnnie Walker
Johnnie Walker is one of the oldest and most well-known whisky brands in the world, having originated more than 200 years back in a grocery store in Scotland.
- Owned by Diageo, JW is known for its blended scotch whisky, which it produces across price ranges and flavour profiles.
- It is also one of the most sold whiskey brands in the world.
- The Johnnie Walker Black Label is one of its most sought-after bottles; probably taking a significant share of the 223 million bottles that Johnnie Walker sells every year.
Latest Price (in Gurgaon, Haryana): Starting from Rs 1,000
Originating from the Speyside region of Scotland, Glenfiddich has been in the business of whiskey distilling and producing since 1887.
- Glenfiddich is a brand synonymous with single malt Scotch whisky.
- The brand is named after the Gaelic translation of “Valley of the Deer” and has one of the highest whisky sales across the globe.
- The Glenfiddich 12 is the brand’s signature whisky, aged for a minimum of 12 years. This whiskey is usually regarded as the stepping stone into premium single malt Scotch.
Latest Price (in Gurgaon, Haryana): Starting from Rs 2,900
7. The Glenlivet
The Glenlivet, much like Glenfiddich, is a Speyside-origin Scotch whisky brand that has its distillery near Ballindalloch in Moray, Scotland.
- The Glenlivet is known for producing one of the most subtle kinds of whiskies, synonymous with most Speyside brands.
- The brand name originates from Gaelic for “valley of the smooth flowing one”.
- The Glenlivet Nadurra is a unique bottle from this brand, as it is drawn from casks made from American White Oak, which have never been used to mature Scotch whiskey.
Latest Price (in Gurgaon, Haryana): Starting from Rs 2,900
Moving to the lower regions of Scotland, you can find a popular whiskey brand Laphroaig in the Islay region of the nation.
- Started in 1815, Laphroaig is named after the area of land at the head of Loch Laphroaig on the south coast of the island of Islay.
- Although the brand known for its peated whiskies started as an independent firm, it has since been acquired by liquor giant Beam Suntory.
- The Laphroaig 10 is one of its most popular expressions, offering a blast of smoke and ash flavour to the uninitiated.
Latest Price (in Gurgaon, Haryana): Starting from Rs 3,800
Teacher’s is one of the finest and most sought-after blended Scotch whisky brands in India and across the world. The brand has been acquired and is now part of Beam Suntory.
- With a distillery in Glasgow, Scotland, the brand was first introduced to the world in 1884.
- It is known for its balanced smokey and sweet expressions.
- The Teacher’s 50 is one of the most popular premium blended Scotch whiskies in India. It offers a smooth taste at an affordable price tag.
Latest Price (in Gurgaon, Haryana): Starting from Rs 1,100
Another popular brand from the Islay region of Scotland, Lagavulin started its distillery way back in 1816, with over 200 years of producing Islay malts under its belt.
- Known for making some of the best-peated Scotch whiskies in the world, the brand is now owned by Diageo.
- The Lagavulin 16 is one of the brand’s classic expressions that offer peat lovers that blast of smoke, ash, and barbeque, while also offering mellow notes due to a minimum of 16 years of ageing.
Latest Price (in Gurgaon, Haryana): Starting from Rs 7,500
Macallan is a Scotch whisky brand known for producing some of the most coveted whiskey bottles in the world.
- The brand started its distillery in Craigellachie, Moray, Scotland back in 1824.
- It offers age statements ranging from 12 years to even 78 years in some limited edition bottles, matured in both ex-Sherry and ex-Bourbon casks.
- You can check out the entry-level expression from the brand, Macallan 12, which gives you a sneak peek into one of the most luxurious brands of Scotch whisky in the world.
Latest Price (in Gurgaon, Haryana): Starting from Rs 5,500
12. Monkey Shoulder
Monkey Shoulder is a Scotch whisky brand that has been gaining popularity for the past few years, especially after reviewers and critics liking the brand in recent times.
- Developed by the Kininvie distillery in Dufftown, Moray, which produces single malt Scotch whiskey, Monkey Shoulder offers unique blended malts with a subtle and neutral-leaning flavour profile.
- The Monkey Shoulder blended malt uses a mix of Kininvie, Glenfiddich, and Balvenie single malts to create a blend that is loved by millions across the world.
Latest Price (in Gurgaon, Haryana): Starting from Rs 3,500
Owned by Pernod Ricard, Ballantine’s is a popular Scotch whisky brand that sells bottles with as much as 50 single malts and four single grains.
- In India, Ballantine’s is one of the highest-selling whiskey brands, especially in the budget range.
- Its history can be traced back to 1827, set up by George Ballantine in Edinburgh, Scotland.
- The Ballantine’s 12 is a popular blended Scotch whisky that offers an age statement along with an affordable price tag.
Latest Price (in Gurgaon, Haryana): Starting from Rs 1,000
Another one from the Speyside region of Scotland, Aberlour is a popular whisky brand having been founded in 1879.
- The current owner is Chivas Brothers, one of the largest liquor companies in the world.
- Against the success of Glenfiddich and The Glenlivet, Aberlour has always remained a relatively unknown brand among Scotch whiskey drinkers.
- The Aberlour 12 is the brand’s top-selling bottle, aged in American ex-bourbon casks. It is known to have notes of apples, ginger, and cinnamon.
Latest Price (in Gurgaon, Haryana): Starting from Rs 3,200
One of the more unique brands from the world of Scotch whisky, Talisker is situated in the Island region of Scotland.
- The brand is currently owned by Diageo, and its flagship whiskey is part of the Classic Malts series by the company.
- Operations started in 1830 when Hugh MacAskill leased the site from the MacLeods and built the Talisker distillery.
- The Talisker 10 is its most popular expression yet. The malt offers a flavour profile like no other whisky from Speyside, Islay, Highlands, or Lowlands regions in Scotland.
Latest Price (in Gurgaon, Haryana): Starting from Rs 5,399
Whiskies are some of the most intricate alcohols in the world. With several varieties and taste profiles, we have curated a list of the absolute best whiskey brands in India. You can go through the list and take your pick depending on the budget, region, and taste profile mentioned.
Which is the No 1 whisky in India?
Royal Challenge by Diageo is the number 1 selling whisky in India by sales.
Which is the best premium whisky in India?
The bestselling premium whiskies in India include names like Teacher’s, Black Dog, Johnnie Walker Red Label, and more.
Is Jack Daniels a good whiskey?
Yes, Jack Daniels is a popular American Tennessee whiskey that is loved across the globe.
What is the strongest whiskey?
In India, whisky is usually bottled at 42.8% ABV. However, cask strength whiskies are the strongest ones with alcohol percentages of over 50%.
What is the most expensive whisky?
Macallan is a Scottish whisky brand that sells some of the most expensive whisky in the world. Its 72-year-old LaLique sells for over Rs 35 lakhs in India.
Tags: Top 10 Best Whiskey Brands In India 2022, 10 Best Whiskey Brands In India 2022, Top 10 Whiskey Brands In India 2022, List of Top 10 Best Whiskey Brands In India 2022, Top 10 Best Whiskey Brands In India With Price List 2022